A Recap of 2016

Yeah, we're not forgetting this one anytime soon.

Will Archer, Writer

2016, the year of the roller coaster, was a year in which the tragic death of both a Russian ambassador and a gorilla were turned into memes, Donald Trump was elected President of the United States, Britain left the European Union, Carrie Fisher died (and then her mother on the next day), and, most importantly, Cartersville High School started FAB Wednesdays. Seriously, this year was a big year for better or for worse. As some witnessed the crazy events of the year, they formed communities around the idea that 2016 was cursed and was basically destined to be terrible. Of course, these people were immediately validated by the absurd number of celebrity deaths, and the tragic terrorist attacks. In short, pretty much everybody had a rough time in 2016, so we might as well relive it together.

To kick off the year, David Bowie released his final album, Blackstar, on January 8th, to much fanfare and hype. Then, to set the tragically ironic mood for the rest of the year, he died 2 days later. Also on January 8th, “El Chapo”, the famous Mexican drug lord was captured, and thankfully he remains in prison as of writing. Later in January, the WHO (World Health Organization) announced the outbreak of the Zika virus, which remained a prevalent worry throughout most of the year. In February, North Korea violated UN treaties and international law by launching a rocket into space, and the death of Antonin Scalia opened a seat in the US Supreme Court which has yet to be filled by a nominee of the President’s choosing. Also in February, the leaders of the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches met for the first time since their split in 1054.

March saw the Brussels bombings conducted by ISIS, killing 32 and injuring at least 250. 5 days later, a suicide bombing in Lahore kills 75, and injures 340. In April, beloved music icon Prince died, and the Panama Papers were released, exposing what is essentially a worldwide, tax-dodging, wealth-hiding scheme centered in the country of Panama. Later on in May, EgyptAir Flight 804 crashed killing 66 people. On June 3rd, world-renowned boxer Muhammad Ali died, followed 20 days later by the Brexit referendum, which resulted in Britain voting to leave the European Union and Prime Minister David Cameron’s resignation. On the 28th, ISIS claimed responsibility for the Atatürk Airport attacks, which killed 45 and injured 230.

On July 2nd, Elie Wiesel, Holocaust survivor, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, and author of Night, died. Also in July, the very last videocassette recorder was produced, ending an age of grainy, low-quality home videos. On the 26th, the first solar powered aircraft flew around the world. In August, Queen Anne of Romania died, as well as Kenny Baker and Gene Wilder, who had a lot less power than the Queen of Romania, but were beloved by many more. August was an interesting time in Brazil to say the least. It saw the country host the Olympic Summer Games, and then impeach the President 10 days after the closure of the games.

On September 3rd, the US and China made huge strides toward preventing climate change when they signed the Paris Agreement, however later in the month, global carbon dioxide levels exceeded 400ppm (parts-per-million), this is surprising because August is usually associated with exceedingly more diminished levels. During the month, North Korea also conducted it’s 5th nuclear test, prompting international response which was mostly negative. September also saw the loss of Arnold Palmer, a famous golfer, and the recovery of two Van Gogh paintings that were previously stolen. Finally, September was the month that CHS began FAB Wednesdays.

In the closing months of 2016, the world took a break. It was quiet… too quiet. In October, former CHS teacher and adviser to Chipper Gwendolyn Marler, better known as Granny, passed away, and several countries agreed to phase out hydrofluorocarbons, which are gases that are terrible for the environment. November was mostly quiet too, aside from the death of Fidel Castro, former dictator of Cuba. The presidential election took place in November also, but we already covered that. Riots broke out in the streets, and massive protests were held, but there were no serious events that happened. Then, December hit. The grand finale started with Russian ambassador to Turkey, Andrei Karlov, being assassinated, followed by a vaccine for Ebola being discovered. On Christmas Day, George Michael, British singer, tragically died, and a plane crashed in Russia killing everyone on board, as well as all 64 members of the Alexandrov Choir. Two days later, Carrie Fisher, known for her role as Princess Leia in Star Wars, passed away, followed by her mother, Debbie Reynolds, who died the very next day. There’s no denying that 2016 was a rough year, but all anyone can do about it is look back and hope to make this year better.

• A Recap of 2016

A & E

Little Shop of Horrors

• A Recap of 2016

Features

College? That’s a Real Thing?

• A Recap of 2016

A & E

Star Wars: The Rampant Speculation

• A Recap of 2016

Features

Super Bowl LI: Falcons vs Patriots

• A Recap of 2016

Humor

Midterm Survival Guide

• A Recap of 2016

Features

Social Media and the Youngsters

• A Recap of 2016

Features

South Korea has a Plan to Kill Kim Jong-Un, Just in Case

• A Recap of 2016

News

Letter from the Editor

• A Recap of 2016

Opinion

Nearly There

• A Recap of 2016

Showcase

What It Means To Be Black

A Recap of 2016