Midterm Survival Guide

Special thanks to Noah Fekete!

Special thanks to Noah Fekete!

Special thanks to Noah Fekete!

Bernarda Cervantes, Writer

It’s that time of year again folks: midterms! Yay! Said no one ever. Thanks to CHS’s new policy on midterms, if you have only one absence and at least a 79.5 in a class, YOU CAN EXEMPT YOUR MIDTERM. This also applies if you have two absences and an 85, or three absences and a 90 but if you’re one of the unlucky few taking midterms this year, this is your guide to survival.

1. I hope you took notes, because that’s my first suggestion! If you’ve taken notes from the very beginning of the year, study them: many midterms cover everything you’ve learned that semester! If you haven’t been taking notes, don’t panic: get to work! Get your textbook and start taking notes.
  2. Taking fresh notes is not a bad idea, even if you’ve been taking notes all semester. But don’t make your life difficult by rewriting the whole textbook. It may be helpful to take Cornell notes, a note taking style that organizes key points, notes about those key points, and then a summary of those notes.
  3. Ask for help. If, bless your heart, you’re taking a math midterm make sure to ask your teacher questions or attend study hall. Your teachers can tell you study hall times.
  4. Take advantage of FAB Wednesday. Attend a session and sharpen your skills, or ask your teacher questions, and work one-on-one.
  5. Set aside time to study. The biggest deterrent to studying, in my experience, is feeling like you’re not in the mood. Guess what? You’ll never be in the mood to study. It’s studying, not a pizza. Make it a priority to set a time to study. Once you set aside that time, no excuses. Make sure your cellphone is off, or at the very least, put away. Make sure that you stick to the study schedule you make, but don’t just sit there and wait until your allotted time is up. If you feel your attention start to drift, take a 2-minute break and get a small snack or a drink of water.
  6. Order a cram crate from DECA-which includes supplies and snacks, all the tools you’ll need to survive the midterms. It does not, unfortunately, contain all the answers to your midterms. I still think it would help.
  7. Give yourself some room to breathe. Try not to stress out. Many say they are terrible/anxious test takers. Chill out, and remember: a midterm will not define you. You are more than test scores.

• Midterm Survival Guide

A & E

Little Shop of Horrors

• Midterm Survival Guide

Features

College? That’s a Real Thing?

• Midterm Survival Guide

A & E

Star Wars: The Rampant Speculation

• Midterm Survival Guide

Features

Super Bowl LI: Falcons vs Patriots

• Midterm Survival Guide

Features

Social Media and the Youngsters

• Midterm Survival Guide

Features

South Korea has a Plan to Kill Kim Jong-Un, Just in Case

• Midterm Survival Guide

News

Letter from the Editor

• Midterm Survival Guide

Opinion

Nearly There

• Midterm Survival Guide

Showcase

What It Means To Be Black

• Midterm Survival Guide

Features

Attention Aspiring CAHISCO or Chipper Members!

Midterm Survival Guide