Most Classic Horror Movies by Decade

Paul Swinney, Reporter

Horror movies are one of the biggest parts of Halloween culture, and we have compiled a list of some of the most classic Horror movies of all time, based on the decades they came out.

1950’s

Creature from the Black Lagoon– This classic tells the story of archaeologists that travel to the Amazon to research the link between sea and land creatures, but instead they find a horrible monster.

Godzilla– This one should be self explanatory, lizard is exposed to radiation and becomes a giant monster.

1960’s

Psycho– This one is the classic psycho killer story, woman in need of a place to stay finds refuge in a creepy guy’s home. He turns out to be a cereal killer who murders those who stay in his home.

Night of the Living Dead– This one is also a little self explanatory, kids looking for refuge wind up in an abandoned house for the night. When suddenly the dead bodies in a nearby graveyard become a little less dead…..

1970’s

The Exorcist– The Exorcist tells the story of a young woman being possessed by a “demon”, her mother calls a couple of priests to come and help them. The priests come and go through the process of an exorcism.

Halloween– On Halloween night of 1963 a boy named Mike Myers at the age of 6 stabbed his sister to death. After being put in a mental hospital for 15 years, Myers escapes and returns to Haddonfield to seek revenge.

1980’s

Nightmare on Elm Street- This is one of the all time classics, it tells the story of Freddy Kruger who preyed on children in life, so all of the families on Elm St. decided to murder Freddy. Years later when their children are in high school, Freddy returns from the grave to murder the children…. In their dreams…

Friday the 13th– Yet another great classic, this tells the story of a summer camp where a boy had drowned years before, the counselors had neglected to pay attention to the kids when swimming and let the young Jason Voorhees die in the lake. Then a figure thought to be Jason comes to the camp, fully grown, and begins murdering counselors for vengeance.

1990’s

The Scream– This horror film tells the story of a girl who had lost her mother the year before the story takes place. A year after loosing her mother this girl and her friends begin to be systematically killed off by a cereal killer with a knife, wearing a black cloak and a mask.

Silence of the Lambs– Though it’s not a usual horror movie, this one is sure to make your skin crawl. Silence of the Lambs tells the story of an FBI agent who works with a convicted cereal killer to find another cereal killer that is on the loose and is skinning his victims.

2000’s

Saw– Two strangers wake up in a room, not knowing how they got there. They go through a series of torture conducted by a cereal killer that appears in a puppet like mask on a video.

The Ring– A video goes viral all around the world, but there’s something off about it. For some reason everyone who watches the video receives a call immediately after watching the video that says “Seven days” and after that amount of time passes, the are found dead.

• Most Classic Horror Movies by Decade

A & E

Little Shop of Horrors

• Most Classic Horror Movies by Decade

Features

College? That’s a Real Thing?

• Most Classic Horror Movies by Decade

A & E

Star Wars: The Rampant Speculation

• Most Classic Horror Movies by Decade

Features

Super Bowl LI: Falcons vs Patriots

• Most Classic Horror Movies by Decade

Humor

Midterm Survival Guide

• Most Classic Horror Movies by Decade

Features

Social Media and the Youngsters

• Most Classic Horror Movies by Decade

Features

South Korea has a Plan to Kill Kim Jong-Un, Just in Case

• Most Classic Horror Movies by Decade

News

Letter from the Editor

• Most Classic Horror Movies by Decade

Opinion

Nearly There

• Most Classic Horror Movies by Decade

Showcase

What It Means To Be Black

Most Classic Horror Movies by Decade