Remembering Granny

Bernarda Cervantes, Staff

Cartersville High School lost a very important member of its family this past Tuesday. Gwendolyn Marler, better known as “Granny” was a beloved member of our CHS family who taught English, Spanish, and advised our very own Chipper. She began teaching at Cartersville in 1954, the year Marilyn Monroe married Joe Dimaggio, the year the Ms. America pageant was broadcast for the first time on television, and one year after the graduation of the class of 1953, the first class to graduate at the current Cartersville High School site.

In a statement to the Daily Tribune, Superintendent Dr. Hinesley says of the late teacher, “Granny was a cornerstone of Cartersville High School for over 50 years. She loved Cartersville City Schools and was well-respected by the students, staff and community,” He also expressed his respect and condolences in the statement saying, “It was an honor and a privilege to work alongside her as her colleague. She will always be remembered.”
Though she retired in 2009, and though she died this year, a piece of her will always remain here at Cartersville High School. At the front of our school, Granny’s Circle, named in her honor after her retirement, remains as a permanent fixture of the school she loved and loved her right back. Her family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to her church, Sam Jones Memorial, and to the Chipper in her honor. Leaving all of us one last reminder of her loving and giving spirit.

• Remembering Granny

A & E

Little Shop of Horrors

• Remembering Granny

Features

College? That’s a Real Thing?

• Remembering Granny

A & E

Star Wars: The Rampant Speculation

• Remembering Granny

Features

Super Bowl LI: Falcons vs Patriots

• Remembering Granny

Humor

Midterm Survival Guide

• Remembering Granny

Features

Social Media and the Youngsters

• Remembering Granny

Features

South Korea has a Plan to Kill Kim Jong-Un, Just in Case

• Remembering Granny

News

Letter from the Editor

• Remembering Granny

Opinion

Nearly There

• Remembering Granny

Showcase

What It Means To Be Black

Remembering Granny