Jazzin’ Up Church St.

Paul Swinney, Business Manager, Reporter

Mr. Steelnack leads the Cartersville High School Band, an enormous program here on campus. Marching band is preparing for a big year this year! Last year they did extraordinary in competition, receiving all superior ratings. They have been working hard and practicing for this season.

They had a great deal of practice before the school year even began. Rookie camp was held for three days, rehearsals for one week and band camp for 2 weeks. Also, “the Color Guard and Drumline have been preparing since last spring” says Mr. Steelnack. They have also prepared a whole new set of songs that will culminate and form a new sound unlike anything they have ever done before. Their new theme is called “Church St. Jazz.” This new theme provides a local tie to our own city of Cartersville and shows how their new sound includes more Jazz music. Their pre-game show includes songs from artist Eleanor Rigby along with Amazing Grace and the Star Spangled Banner. Other songs include Fancy, Uptown Funk, Bang Bang, Hey Baby, 2001, Caravan, Someone to Watch Over Me and Blues of the Night. They are anticipated to do well in competition this year, as last year they received distinction as Best in Class. “If God is on our side, we might be able to get Grand Champion” says Drum Major TJ Reed. Steelnack says, “I’m just looking for them to give their best effort” and also, “they have elevated their performance level from last year,” but all competition aside they play just for the love of music. An example of this is in the Bartow Exhibition where local schools from the county come together and display their shows.

The band also has local ties other than their theme. The band has always helped it’s community by participating in parades. This year they will be in Cartersville’s Kiddy Day Parade and Christmas Day Parade. Also they will be going to Atlanta for the Veteran’s Day Parade and Atlanta’s Christmas Day Parade. It’s sure to be a good year for the band!

And to any and all parents of Cartersville students in the band program, Mr. Steelnack says, “Thank you for all the support, we couldn’t do it without you.”

• Jazzin’ Up Church St.

A & E

Little Shop of Horrors

• Jazzin’ Up Church St.

Features

College? That’s a Real Thing?

• Jazzin’ Up Church St.

A & E

Star Wars: The Rampant Speculation

• Jazzin’ Up Church St.

Features

Super Bowl LI: Falcons vs Patriots

• Jazzin’ Up Church St.

Humor

Midterm Survival Guide

• Jazzin’ Up Church St.

Features

Social Media and the Youngsters

• Jazzin’ Up Church St.

Features

South Korea has a Plan to Kill Kim Jong-Un, Just in Case

• Jazzin’ Up Church St.

News

Letter from the Editor

• Jazzin’ Up Church St.

Opinion

Nearly There

• Jazzin’ Up Church St.

Showcase

What It Means To Be Black

Jazzin’ Up Church St.